February 27, 2014

All About the Arts

 
Welcome to my first ever blog post! We've had a brutal winter here in Pennsylvania and fortunately, today has been perfect. With blue skies, the sun shining, and temps reaching almost 50 degrees, I thought it would be a perfect time to start my blogging journey. When I decided to start this blog, I thought long and hard about what my first post would be about. Then it occurred to me, what better place to start than my absolute favorite building on campus, the Henry Clay Frick Fine Arts Building.
 
I first stepped foot in this building because my class schedule told me to go here. The moment I entered, I fell in love. (Funny story... I immediately thought I was in the wrong building because it is way too beautiful to house a classroom!) The class which I was taking in this building was ironically Introduction to Western Architecture where we actually learned about this building!
 
The main area of the building houses its very own art collection and a cloister surrounding an outdoor garden which is enclosed with glass walls and columns. The outdoor element brought inside creates a very serene and calm atmosphere. Not matter the weather outside, the view from inside is always perfection. I particularly love when it snows because it creates a life-size snow globe!! During the warmer months of the year, the fountain at the center of the garden is on and running making the area even more relaxing.
 
If you ever find yourself on the University of Pittsburgh campus and in the heart of Oakland, stop by this building. I promise that you will not be disappointed!
 
 
Fun Fact: The fountain situated in the front of the building was actually designed by the same artist who sculpted Abraham Lincoln on the US penny. His name was Victor Brenner.
 
Thanks for reading!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment